Leaving the custodian of everyones' everything: Facebook

As a supporter, creator, and early adopter of social network tools, I find it particularly difficult to unplug myself permanently from Facebook.  The problem is not with the concept itself, but rather with the growing risk to my family, personal security and privacy.  I have decided to maintain my LinkedIn and Twitter as they are easier to manage and far less revealing.  Nonetheless, I think that it is a matter of time before they too also present a risk.  I figure that as long as I do not share lifestyle, time and location-specific information, that they at least offer a relatively safe form of connection to my professional networks.
I have always been concerned with the approach taken by social network solution to use a centralized information management and storage system.  Alternatives exist and I have been working on an architecture for over 14 years that that might take down the current model whilst allowing people to maintain their beloved social network activities.
This time the tipping-point came for me from an article that I read about a Dell Tycoon who spends $2.7million on security when his daughter offers their privacy away on Twitter.  The drop of water short-circuiting mainframe.   Furthermore, household insurance companies are now starting to include disclaimers when to "social network" your whereabouts.  These are the precursors of today's social networks' architecture downfall.
I have canceled my Facebook account 3 times, and this one is for good until content, privacy and security are within the control of the user and not the custodian of everyones' everything.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have canceled my Facebook account 3 times, and this one is for good until content, privacy and security are within the control of the user and not the custodian of everyones' everything. social websites

Popular Posts